top of page
Outside Scholarship Policies Database
Note: This database contains only four-year accredited postsecondary institutions.
Outside scholarships and grants are considered the following: federal scholarships, federal grants, state scholarships, state grants, external scholarships, private scholarships, military benefits, and other outside scholarships/grants/aid.
1) Even if a postsecondary institution policy says they do not practice scholarship award displacement, the postsecondary institution may practice hidden scholarship award displacement.
2) Postsecondary institutions' practices may not be consistent with the institution's outside scholarship policy. For example, if a school says they decrease loans first, they may actually decrease institutional scholarships first.
3) Even if there is a law that does not mean that scholarship award displacement is over, please make sure to keep up to date on any updates on your financial aid package/the student's financial aid package. If you have any questions, please email us.
4) Some states are not covering their state grants and scholarships in their laws or policies. Therefore, a higher institution may practice scholarship award displacement if a student receives state scholarships or grants.
5) Many postsecondary institutions are practicing scholarship award displacement with federal grants.
6) Many higher institutions will practice scholarship displacement even if the student is not considered "overawarded".
7) Many postsecondary institutions are understating the cost of attendance to ensure more students become victims of scholarship award displacement.
State Laws Overview
Note: The federal government holds the authority to enact a comprehensive ban on scholarship displacement. An upcoming federal bill is set to be introduced soon.
*Maryland Public Higher Institutions - This law only protects undergraduate students at Maryland public higher institutions.
*New Jersey Public Higher Institutions - This law only protects students attending New Jersey public higher institutions. In February 2023, New Jersey introduced an amendment bill to expand the ban to all institutions in New Jersey.
* Washington Public and Private Higher Institutions - This law only protects students at Washington public and private universities who participate in state student financial aid programs. Note: This law does not apply to public community and technical colleges.
*Pennsylvania Public Higher Institutions - This law only protects students attending Pennsylvania public higher institutions.
*California Public and Private Higher Institutions - This law only protects students attending California public and private who qualify for the Pell Grant or state financial aid under the California Dream Act. Cal Grants are NOT covered under this law. Our organization has received several inquiries from families who have become victims of scholarship award displacement because their students received a Cal Grant. California higher institutions are eliminating institutional scholarships if a student receives a Cal Grant. We met with the California Financial Aid Commission, and they have told us they do not have the "legal authority" to tell higher institutions to stop practicing scholarship award displacement when it comes to the Cal Grant. Therefore, please be aware of this before accepting the Cal Grant. If you have any questions, please reach out to us.
Outside Scholarship Policy Review Request
Our organization provides free outside scholarship policy reviews for students and families looking to see if a college practices scholarship award displacement. If you do not see a school you are looking for here, please fill out the outside scholarship policy review form.
Please allow 7-10 business days for us to send you the report. During our peak periods, the report may take longer. If urgent, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click the button below.
DISSCHOLARED OFFICE HOURS
*Students and Parents/Guardians Only
Our organization hosts free one-on-one or group appointments for students and families needing support navigating scholarship displacement. Our organization team members are experts in the field of scholarship displacement.
*Please note that the Free Office Hours are exclusively available to students and parents/guardians who are not associated with any college admissions consultant program or service.
Cancellation Policy: To avoid a $25 cancellation fee, cancellations must be made at least 48 hours before the scheduled appointment.
Start Your Search!
The database contains 100+ schools. Please fill out the outside scholarship review form if you do not see the school you are looking for.
bottom of page